Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Some things are (still) worth putting a Galactic Civil War on hold for!

As I was checking Facebook this morning, I came across a photo posted by the 501st -- where members Star Garrison served as an honor guard at the funeral of a Make-A-Wish boy named Parker -- who they'd recently help grant his "wish" before his passing.

Originally, I had no intent of archiving any of my posts from that old blog, but there was one in particular that hit a nerve for me -- and I felt was my best work to date.  The following is a reposting from "Shadow 12 Standing By!" blog (dated Aug. 27, 2010) -- dedicated to the guys from Star Garrison -- about the TOUGHEST assignment any of us can take on!

Some things are worth putting a Galactic Civil War on hold for!

That's what I told one of Sam Bish's relatives when she commented on the diversity of the Great Lakes Base, Mando Mercs and Ohio Garrison members in attendance at Sam Bish's wake last night.

For those of you who remember my last blog posting -- we had recently surprised Sam at a private screening of Revenge of the Sith along with members of Sam's family and friends.  Sam's courageous battle with Osteosarcoma ended last weekend.  According to everyone I've talked with, Sam's favorite thing in the world was Star Wars... which means he's not much different then any of us!  Last night, the Bish family celebrated Sam's life at Schoedinger Funeral Home.

At the request of the family, several of our members showing up in full costume as we shared our sympathies with his parents (Michael and Cindy) and everyone who knew and loved Sam.  This was an emotional time for all of us who knew Sam.  And while nearly everyone from previous visits was back for the memorial service -- along with some new faces -- for some the pain was just too much to bear. That is in NO way a reflection on their love for Sam or dedication to their respective groups; this is the TOUGHEST assignment groups like our's can take on.

I introduced Sam's parents to the man who built their son's lightsaber -- and they explained how it was Sam's most prized possession, whose blade glowed almost as brightly as Sam's smile when he received it.  This brief exchange was a welcomed moment of relief during a time of great sadness.  Another guy who showed his love for Sam (in a personal way) was GLB's newest recruit -- Grumpy.  Within hours of learning about Sam's passing, Matt got to work on special "SB" black armbands for all the costumed characters to wear at Sam's memorial.  He even made special armbands for Sam's parents and his two sisters -- Aubrey and Caitlen.  Later, I learned that Matt had carved the initials "SB" in Aurebesh (the writing of the SW universe) into his clonetrooper armor as a permanent memorial to Sam. 

Very "Mando" if you ask me... nice job ner vod!

Then the time came for us to pay our final respects at Sam's casket.  Our jedi members of the honor guard entered, hoods up -- which is customary for jedi at such a sad occasion.  As the lone member of Shadow Squadron, I found myself tapping on the lid of Sam's casket as if saying: "Shadow One is four green and ready to fly!"  When it came to the 501st, each of the troopers removed their helmets as they passed the casket and took turns sharing their sympathies with Sam's parents.  There was no hiding the tears for many of us -- and that's ok, because some things are worth putting a Galactic Civil War on hold for!

Later I got into a conversation with Sam's aunt.  She'd stopped us on the way in to thank us all for coming and for becoming so close to Sam in his final days.  She'd mentioned that she was nervous about speaking at the funeral service (today) and didn't know what to say until she came across something about an "Odan-Urr" Jedi mantra? Once she read about this her response was, "That's Sam!" 

Now as the reigning local KING of Star Wars Trivial Pursuit, I'll admit: I had NO idea who/what the hell Odan-Urr was (thank you Wookiepedia) until she repeated part of it for me: 

There is no emotion, there is peace. 
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. 
There is no passion, there is serenity. 
(There is no chaos, there is harmony.)
There is no death, there is the Force.

Apparently, I've been repeating the "Odan-Urr" while running on the treadmill for years... and didn't know it? 

And she was right -- this was what Sam was all about. I handed her my "SB" armband and said, "I've got something to remind me of Sam every time I troop an event," pointing to my Shadow Squadron patch on my shoulder.  During our last visit, Sam was made a member of Shadow Squadron (call sign = Shadow One) and given his own squadron patch.  If the fact that my squadron patch is NEVER coming off -- because it reminds me of Sam -- results in that I'll never be approvable for some high-profile LFL event for Rebel Legion... oh well!  Some things are worth putting a galactic civil war on hold for.

If this whole experience has taught me anything, it can all be summed up with, "some things are worth putting a galactic civil war on hold for."  It's how you try and provide comfort to parents (including two GREAT Grandparents) at the lose of their child, it's how you befriend an amazing woman who's compassion for others can't be drowned out by tears, it's how you realize that we (as Star Wars fans -- or just as people) find the stupidest reasons to divide ourselves into opposing factions: 501st, Rebel Legion, Fanforce, Mando Mercs, Jedi Assembly... it's all the same! Our strengths are when we stand together as one community, one family!

"Some things are worth putting a Galactic Civil War on hold for!"

1 comment:

  1. This is one of the reasons why we do what we do! Rest in Peace Sam!

    ReplyDelete