Thursday, September 6, 2012

Tales of the Metal Bikini

by: Sheikahchica and Mira_Darkstar

One of the things that has become synonymous with Star Wars Celebration VI are the “Slave Leia” costumers of The Rebel Legion. And this sisterhood of the metal bikini featured a number of members from Great Lakes Base; some of them wearing the costume for the first time – while others are veterans of past Celebrations and local comic book conventions. And since I’m the last person anyone wants to associate with the Slave Leia costume, I’ll let the girls tell their own story.
photo courtesy Brian Baker
“This was my second time attending a Star Wars Celebration as a slave Leia, explained Sheikahchica (Lindsay) , so I had an idea of what to expect. Being stopped in the hallways wasn't as bad this year; I can thank my new 'sandstorm' upgrade for that!  After the Blu-Ray version of ‘Return of the Jedi’ showed Leia wrapped in a serape-like outfit, I decided a canon cover-up for the bikini was in order!  I think because people did not initially see the top of the bikini that they did not recognize me as a slave Leia. I did have one small boy walk by and say, ‘You're from the deleted scene,’ which really made my day.  A few others pointed it out, but in the end, it was really just a nice way to explore the con virtually unnoticed without having to worry about being stopped for too many pictures; and I could walk at a faster pace, knowing I had the cloak to cover up anything my swaying skirt might betray.”
photo by Rebel Legion UK
“I did get a wonderful chance to recreate an art piece by Chris Trevas that featured sandstorm Leia and Han back on the Millennium Falcon entitled ‘His Vision Returns.’ I was so taken with the piece, I was determined to recreate it.  I was so glad to have fellow Rebel Legion member Greg (theeviltwin) from the Elstree Base play the part of Han, at the Belgiun Garrison's Millennium Falcon interior set.  I have the artist's email and plan to send him copies of the photos we took.”
“Working the Gentle Giant booth was fun as always, and I took quick breaks for the Great Lakes Base and The Rebel Legion photo shoots. Other than that, it was getting into character with Jabba!  Sometimes I was joined by other Slave Leias, who were either just passing by or wanted one picture and they would get stuck taking dozens by all the fans that stopped by! When I was solo, I was able to get comfy, laying in the pillows curled around Jabba's tail -- once even wrapping the end of my chain around Jabba's hand for more authenticity!”
photo courtesy
Anna Rossman
Another member of Great Lakes Base, Mira_Darkstar (Anna) was joining the sisterhood of the “metal bikini” at Celebration VI. Like Lindsay, she was volunteering part of her weekend at the Gentle Giant Jabba display. A bunch of us from GLB visited the Gentle Giant Jabba and got pictures while Lindsay and Anna were working there. What is ironic about the Gentle Giant Jabba display is that it was a great place to do some “people watching” – even for the Slave Leia girls, as Anna explains.
“My experience over the weekend dressed as Slave Leia was not as bad as I thought it would be," recalls Anna.  "People asking for photos were very nice and courteous about it and not creepy at all; or at least, I blocked them from my mind over the weekend.  Also, one advantage of being at the Gentle Giant booth -- all day on Thursday -- was being able to see everyone I know who attended CVI at some point.”

During Celebration VI, The 501st sponsored a “Shoot-a-Trooper” charity fundraiser with The Peter Mayhew Foundation. While the event was advertised as strictly a 501st project, someone got the idea to invite the Slave Leias over to help promote the event. Here is Lindsay’s recount of what it’s like facing a NERF firing squad.

photo courtesy of Sara Faulkner
“The Slave Leia appearance at the ‘Shoot-a-Trooper’ booth was a lot of fun, and we had more girls turn up than we originally planned – about a dozen, if I recall correctly? We had JUST enough safety-glasses for all the girls. Daniel Logan (young Boba Fett) was happy to sacrifice time out of his day to join the ladies in dodging NERF darts. In fact, he took MOST of the NERF darts --including a shot to the groin by a little boy (dressed as Jango Fett) who Logan ordered to ‘take his best shot.’ That he did! Daniel Logan was an awesome sport-- even borrowing my vibro axe and spinning it around like an expert to give the crowd a show. That same axe actually saved me from a few darts; though one hit my lip before the organizers ordered NO face/head shots. Sadly, more people were content on taking pictures rather than taking shots -- that is until the Leias all spoke up... telling them it was for charity and to donate to the Mayhew Foundation. More people stepped up after that!”

photo courtesy Mark Siriunas
“I was also one of three Slave Leias chosen to keep Jabba ‘entertained’ during the 501st Bash; which was an amazing experience. We got to meet Jabba (and his puppeteers) the day before, and get a feel for the stage. During the party, I was second to go on-stage, and I got a small twinge of stage-fright beforehand. We were instructed to remain ‘in-character’ during our performance, which I was sure I could do. The first ‘Leia’ had started out in character before she started dancing, so I figured that I’d do the same thing. I chained myself to the Hutt and sat next to him, looking defiant and disgusted by his waggling tongue. I would even 'tug' on the chain at times before 'reluctantly' dancing. Many times, I would look to the crowd, motioning for anyone with a lightsaber to cut through the chain. I did have one Han costumer pull out his blaster and mimic shooting the chain, but I merely shrugged at him, showing him the unbroken chain. 

One of the exciting parts of the night was when Seth Green came onstage to help out with awarding the door prizes.  At one point, while someone else was talking, he came over to me and shook my hand asking how it was going, ‘Oh you know...chained to a Hutt’was my response. I continued to stay in character by holding up the chain and asking, ‘You don't have a lightsaber to cut this, do you?’ He smirked and shook his head apologetically, ‘Nope, sorry!’  He then stepped back and pulled out his phone, getting a great shot of me, Jabba, and C-3P0. When the other speaker asked what he was doing he replied, 'Sorry - I can't pass up a photo-op like this!' I am now proud to say that I am in Seth Green's phone! ;P

I received many compliments throughout that night and the rest of the con, by people who said I danced wonderfully, and loved how I brought the character to life on-stage. It definitely made me feel less self-conscious and proud that I was able to do such an iconic character justice!”


photo courtesy Robert Lucas
“Overall, I did get to check out more of the convention – compared to last time," said Lindsay, "though some of it I didn't get to see until Sunday.  I loved working for Gentle Giant, they are always so great to me! I would do it again in a heartbeat!"

“My Celebration VI experience was a blast,” said Anna, “from meeting people I have only briefly met before or talked with on the forums, as well as other random people, like the Australians. On my last day, I was even got to meet the gal who made my green Mara dress... she is from New Zealand!”

No comments:

Post a Comment