Thursday, April 11, 2013

Lazer Xtreme - Michigan roadtrip


by: Tiernan

photo courtesy Snips92
Since joining the Great Lakes Base, Tom, Matt and myself have trooped in Michigan -- never able to venture out of state until April 6th when the Ohio members were apart of "Star Wars" Lazer Xtreme fundraiser.  This two-day event attracted our interest enough that we pack our bags to make the two and half hour drive.  Having met a few Ohio Rebels, being able to see them once again furthered our interest for different reasons.  When we arrived, the troop was not what we expected.

After trooping for over five months, "The Boys" (as I call Tom and Matt sometimes behind their backs) and myself have gotten used to the everyday job of Rebels who are out numbered by Stormtroopers and other Great Lakes Garrison costumers.  The laser tag event in Ohio happened and the three of us got a completely different experience; one that we didn't expect.  Upon arrival it was nice to see those that we met at the Detroit St. Patrick's Day Parade, as well as new friendly faces (good guys and bad guys alike).  Once we got settled in, suited up and received instructions, we were ready to go -- but not expecting as much interaction with the guest and troopers.  With myself and Tom being more quiet and not that outgoing when it comes to meeting new people or interacting with others we haven't known for a while -- this was a major change and surprise.  It was easier to talk to members with all the joking and tomfoolery.  Being able to chase after and shoot a laser guns at guest was a change of pace for us.
 
Rebel Strike Team!
The Star Wars characters were their own team, sharing vests among Rebels, Imperials and Mandalorians alike.  As Rebel Troopers, Tom and Matt were in their “happy place” -- being able to play a few rounds in their costumes.  As a Jedi, while I wasn’t able to play wearing a laser tag vest/gun -- until I changed into civilian clothes -- it was amazing for me to be able to have fun and interact with everyone as I did.  Halfway through our time there, we decided to take a break from the antics to cool down, eat, and change costumes.  While in the changing room, it was good to witness the boys talking casually and exchanging costume tips with a Rebels and Mercs; one person was amazed how my Jedi belt could fit around their thigh.  After a while of sitting talking and getting dressed once more, I got the chance to play a few rounds of laser tag myself -- which was funny at times.  During my third game -- and not very good -- I thought it hilarious that some of the people on my same team were mistakenly shooting at me.  After a couple of rounds playing in the vests, it was time for me to break once again.

Even though Tom, Matt and I had to leave early after so much fun and everyone trying to coax us into staying; wished that we could have stayed for dinner and prolonged our visit.  The one thing we're still talking about is the next event where we get the chance to troop and mingle with everyone.

The three of us had our own highlights of the day. In Tom’s case, it was playing laser tag, swapping costume how to tips and being able to be as playful. With Matt, it was the fact of being able to troop socializing with more members and other stuff (you'll have to ask him).  As for myself, it was how much I socialized with everyone, being able to scare off kids.  But my biggest surprise was how nice Krash was -- for letting me borrow his lightsaber since mine was dying -- and how one of the local Rebel Fleet Trooper just took my lightsaber and put new batteries in it for me!  Both things were something I really appreciated.  We all agreed that it was nice being able to troop with members of our own age group, which helped with being able to talk about almost anything such as cartoons.

No comments:

Post a Comment