Friday, August 31, 2012

Thank the Maker


Among the many Star Wars guests I was looking forward to meeting at Star Wars Celebration VI was Aaron Allston; author of the Wraith Squadron series of books.  In fact, his book “X-Wing: Solo Command” is the first ever mention of Shadow Squadron. (pg. 291)

Celebration VI was a very exciting time for fans of Aaron Allston, because after YEARS of us lobbying for more Wraith Squadron books at every given opportunity… “X-Wing: Mercy Kill” hit shelves on August 15th.  “Mercy Kill” is the tenth installment in the popular series.  I’d brought along my copy, hoping to get it signed by Allston, but his scheduled signing at the Barnes and Noble booth was going to conflict with my other commitments… SITHSPIT!

Krash/Shadow 12 with Aaron Allston
So I was surprised when my sister turned to me, as we walked along the third floor hallway of the convention center and asked, “Hey, isn't that…”

It was Aaron Allston!

I went over and introduced myself, told him how much of a fan I was of his work on Wraith Squadron and simply wanted to thank him for writing such a great series of books for us fans of the Rebel Pilots.  When I explained that I wanted to meet him, because my Rebel Legion pilot call-sign is “Shadow 12” – and that in “Solo Command” there’s a reference to a Shadow Twelve, who was killed in an ambush by the Super Star Destroyer IRON FIST – and that (jokingly) Aaron Allston killed me!  Without missing a beat, Aaron Allston replied with…

“I kill off a lot of characters in my books.”

Did you hear that? Aaron Allston just said I’m a character in one of his books! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment